Saturday, January 30, 2010

T.M.I. Warning: "Female Issues"

I had my annual physical and all that stuff this week. I've got good news and bad news.

Iron levels=fine. Good news.
Cholesterol = 212. Bad news. Cut down on fatty foods.
Arthritis screen= negative. Good news.
Triglycerides= high. Bad news. Cut down on sugar.
Thyroid= normal. Good.
Pap smear=inflamed. Bad news. Retest in 6months. (I've seen this before!)
Blood count= good.
Weight= like I'm going to tell YOU! Hit the gym!
I'm post-menopausal= Good news.

In case you didn't get that last item, and I had to ask twice, I'm through the change! According to the websites I've queried:

"There are many things to love about being post-menopausal. There is a light at the end of the tunnel of heavy bleeding and hot flashes. No more Kotex pads or Tampax! No more worry about pregnancy. Most women find their voice and have no qualms about raising it. This does not happen overnight of course, and for many women it takes time to stop feeling bad about speaking up — but they realize they have nothing to lose and much to gain!"

So, as much as I love seeing that light at the end of THAT tunnel, I was more curious about the finding their voice statement. Today, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Jim and I were driving and I pointed in the direction he needed to turn. You must know that he hates when I do that, and I really don't do it to irritate him, I do it so we won't miss the turn. After I pointed, he explained that he WAS going to turn there. I simply said, "I think I have missed my calling in life, I should have been a GPS!" He agreed and said "I should tell people I've had a GPS for 28 years!" We laughed and I said "You know, one of the avantages of being postmenopausal is that I may just find my voice." (Smile) I'm sure he's really looking forward to that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post made me smile. Jason hates it when I tell him where to turn when he already knows how to turn, too. Now I can just blame it on you and say it's hereditary! Congrats on your "post" status, I must say I am looking forward to that point in my life! Love you!