Thursday, March 26, 2009

We Interrupt These Camp Reports to Bring You...

Sorry to interrupt the Camp reports, there will be more to come. However, I just knew you would be interested in this little report on my eye.

Iritis

Iritis Overview

The iris is a circular, pigmented membrane that provides the eye its color and forms the pupil of the eye.

The iris is made up of muscular fibers that control the amount of light entering the pupil so that we can see clearly. The iris accomplishes this task by making the pupil smaller in bright light and larger in dim light.

In some people, the iris can become inflamed. This is termed iritis.

Iritis Causes

Iritis may be a consequence of trauma (traumatic iritis) or nontraumatic causes. In a significant number of cases, no cause for the iritis is found.

  • Blunt trauma to the eye can cause traumatic inflammation of the iris.


I went to the doc yesterday and this was his diagnosis of my left eye. Now, you may be wondering "What in the world did you do to your eye?"


Meet the culprit.

This little metal lovely is located on an elastic cord, that runs around the bottom of my jacket. While paying for my tea at the mall, somehow the elastic cord got caught in my purse. At some point, the tension on the cord was great enough to cause it to fly mercilessly into my open eye. Ouch! Okay, it was more of an "OH, MY GOODNESS WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS THAT WILL I EVER SEE AGAIN?!?!?!" It was excruciating, but after several minutes, it seemed to be okay. Five days later, a trip to the doc proved that injury had indeed occurred. Thankfully it's not as bad as it could have been. Hopefully the steroid drops he prescribed will do the trick. However, I will be following up the eye drops with a visit to my local ophthalmologist. Just to be sure.


4 comments:

D.R.C + D.E.C said...

Oh my goodness. That is so terrible. I did not know that something hit you in the eye.

Hope it gets all better soon.

Gary said...

This doesn't sound good. Hope things repair well

Gary said...

The littel gadget must have hit your camera too, since it is not seeing clearly either.

Susan Beth said...

Wow! I hope it isn't constantly painful, although I imagine it is. Praying for quick and complete recover, and no repeat performances on that!